Friday, July 9, 2010

Land of the free, home of the brave.


I've spent a lot of time on the back porch, topless, with a magazine. It's secluded and relaxing.

Yesterday I discovered that we also have a front porch and it's pretty big. It wraps around the side of the house! To my defense, I've never entered our house through the front door. We also have a swinging bench on this porch and a flag pole where a huge American flag waves. I've been so oblivious. The details of co-habitation are becoming more apparent now that I have the big ideas down... examples:
  • We run the dishwasher everyday.
  • KJ likes to limit the bathroom toiletries on the countertop. That's a line that I fully intend to cross; women cultivate beautiful products and like to be surrounded by them. A tiny blue bottle of Anti-aging algae from Africa shouldn't be hidden under a sink.
  • Mailmen here aren't required to wear uniforms when its 95+ degrees... and they're not rapists.
  • There are 4 remote controls for the entertainment center and they don't live in 1 central location.
  • I refuse to mix my laundry with his.
  • KJ throws shoes (literally throws them) to move them or make space, even after I've explained that mine are delicate.
  • We should try to go to bed at the same time, our relationship is far too new to start staggering bedtimes.
  • The cleaning lady has been taking advantage of him.
Porches/rooftops/terraces are a luxury in the New York... the ultimate amenity. A costly feature reserved for a tiny percentage of city dwellers. Now... I have a front porch, a screened in back porch and a patio. Choices! Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment